You may have heard the saying, “you can’t pour from an empty cup.” While focusing on selflessness and being generous are fantastic things to strive for, it’s also important to not forget yourself in the process.
The Importance of Self-Care in Senior Homes
Self-care is crucial for maintaining a happy and healthy lifestyle. Unfortunately, many see the act of self-care as a luxury. The fact is older adults in retirement homes in Pickering can be more prone to feeling isolated. This makes self-care more crucial.
Practicing self-care can make a big difference in your health and well-being. Studies even show that it can reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke, and cancer. It’s also a wonderful way to stay happy and boost your self-confidence.
Self-Care Practices in Local Retirement Homes in Pickering, Ontario
Your retirement residence may already take great strides to help you stay healthy on multiple levels, residents of senior homes can promote their health and well-being through these self-care tips:
- Make sleep a priority. One of the most basic forms of self-care is getting enough sleep. It lets you function properly throughout the day. Promote better sleep by creating a regular bedtime routine and avoiding stimulants like caffeine and gadgets 3 to 4 hours before sleeping.
- Be active. Regular exercise is great for improving your overall health and wellness. It also releases happy hormones that keep you feeling good. Consider joining fitness programs in retirement homes in Pickering as part of your self-care.
- Eat good food. Having a balanced diet is a terrific way to look out for yourself. Always aim for healthy food items like fruits, vegetables, and grains. However, do not deprive yourself of a treat here and there, too. Depending on your retirement residence and their dining program, you may already have this covered.
- Practice good hygiene. Bathing, grooming, and brushing your teeth are some basic self-care practices. Keeping a daily routine will always leave you feeling great while avoiding any health issues.
- Find ways to socialize. While self-care focuses on yourself, it does not mean isolating yourself from others. Local retirement homes in Pickering, Ontario often have activities where you can connect with others. Going to these events lets you find like-minded people who can bring joy to your life.
- Find activities that keep you engaged. These can be hobbies that can provide you with a sense of purpose and fulfillment.
- Make sure you get regular check-ups. Meeting with your healthcare provider regularly ensures you can monitor your health and well-being. Make sure you include mental health check-ins, too!
- Take a break. Breaks are essential to avoid burnout and fatigue. Always make time to recharge. It can be as simple as taking a walk or going out for a nice meal. For others, it can mean taking advantage of respite care services and seeking help.
A Happier, Healthier You in a Retirement Home Near You
At Livita Parkway, we believe that a balanced lifestyle is a better lifestyle. We ensure that residents always have programs and activities that keep them active and thriving. This includes activities that allow them to practice self-care:
- Fitness Programs
- Daily Meal Services
- On-Site Services
- Medical Services
- Respite Care
Be part of our community today! Contact Livita Parkway to learn more, or schedule a tour of our residence.