Being socially active is important at any age. However, it offers seven more benefits as you get older. Senior housing residents find that the more social they are, the healthier and happier they are.
Luckily, senior living in Belleville has provided a lot of opportunities for older adults to stay socially active. The city is more than its tree-lined streets and scenic waterways. There are a lot of fun and interesting community activities that active seniors can enjoy.
Benefits of Social Activities for Belleville Senior Citizen Living
We already know that keeping your physical and mental health in check is important no matter what age you are. However, being socially active and engaged can have positive effects on your overall well-being.
- Social activities improve cognitive function. Whether you’re doing activities or just chatting with someone, you become mentally engaged. This is a good exercise for your brain and cognition.
- Being socially active boosts your immune system. Some studies show a link between social isolation with increased inflammation. Alternatively, positive social connections strengthen antiviral responses and improve your immunity.
- Social connections promote physical health. Walking, dancing, exercising – all these are better done with a friend. A lot of people are more encouraged to work out and do physical activities with someone than alone.
Community Activities for Senior Housing Residents
Belleville supports the active lifestyle of independent seniors. Here, you’ll find a variety of activities that will pique your interest and keep you engaged.
1. Activities and Programs at the Quinte Sports & Wellness Centre
Older adult 50+ programs are being offered at the Quinte Sports & Wellness Centre. It’s a great way to get out and be with like-minded people in your community. Here’s an example of the activities you can join:
- Learn to Speak French
- Health & Wellness Programs
- Cooking Classes
2. Various community events around the city
Senior living in Belleville is fun in that there are many events and activities you can take part in. The vibrant city has a lot to offer in terms of engaging its residents. Some of these activities include:
- Fall Scenes of Quinte, a showcase of different works of art by local artists.
- Belleville Diwali Celebration
- Quinte Symphony Concert
- History and Hauntings Ghost Tour
Each of these activities is a great opportunity to engage with your community. Invite a friend or two and make a day out of joining some of these community activities and events.
Living a Vibrant Life at Senior Residences Near You
At Livita Bridge Street, we believe in the philosophy that a balanced lifestyle is a better lifestyle. Our programs, services, and amenities are always anchored on that belief. And part of creating a balanced lifestyle is making sure residents have plenty of chances to be socially engaged.
We strive to be a community that supports the physical, mental, and social well-being of our active seniors. Get to know more about our community by giving us a call today!