Volunteering is a wonderful endeavor for people of all ages. It teaches us a lot about ourselves and the world around us. There is a whole lot of value in volunteering during retirement. It is a great way to stay active and get involved within your community.
Benefits of Volunteering Around Retirement Homes in Oshawa
There are many ways volunteering can benefit residents of retirement communities in Oshawa. Here are some of them:
1. Boost your mental health
Studies show that helping others releases the neurochemical drivers of happiness. These include dopamine, oxytocin, and serotonin. A constant supply of these helps keeps you positive. It also avoids a lot of stress, feelings of depression, and isolation.
2. Gives your life more meaning and purpose
Getting involved in the community and sharing your talents is a great way to have a sense of purpose. Through volunteering, active seniors in retirement homes near you can also learn new skills.
3. Meet new friends
Volunteering is a great way to meet people with the same interests. It’s a nice way to build new relationships and improve your social skills.
4. Promote physical activity
Lastly, getting involved with the community gives you the chance to be more physically active. It’s a great way to keep moving while doing something that interests you.
Volunteer Opportunities Around Retirement Communities in Oshawa
If you’re interested in volunteering, there are plenty of opportunities for you. Here are a few of them:
- Recreation Volunteers, City of Oshawa–work with children and community members during events and other recreation programs in the city.
- Back Door Mission for the Relief of Poverty–involves food service tasks, dispensing pantry items, and more.
- Wheels of Hope Volunteer Driver – respond to transportation requests for people who need cancer treatments. Available for short-term or long-term commitments.
- The Salvation Army Church in Oshawa–assists in various community and family services of the church. These include the food bank, thrift store, and church. Volunteers are also needed during the Christmas season.
Before looking for a volunteer program, it’s important to evaluate your time and what you can do. This ensures you find the right program where you can thrive.
The Best Retirement Homes Near You
Looking for the right volunteer opportunity is like looking for the best retirement community. You have to find one where you can learn, grow, and live a meaningful life.
At Livita Centennial, we support our residents’ interests and passions. Our activities and programs are created to keep our independent seniors active and engaged. Aside from our in-house activities, we make sure to connect with our community. We take time to do outreach programs and charity drives that benefit those in need.
Live a life of purpose in a retirement home in Oshawa. Contact us today about joining Livita Centennial.