Whether you’re young or old, volunteering has a lot of benefits. It doesn’t just help your community. Volunteering also helps your overall health and well-being.
This is especially true for many older adults. With a lot more time on their hands, it’s the perfect way to live a more purposeful life. Residents of Belleville retirement homes get a chance to give back while gaining a lot of physical and mental benefits.
Benefits of Volunteering Around Retirement Communities in Belleville
Did you know that there is research suggesting people who volunteer live longer? When people have the desire to help others rather than themselves, it can have a significant impact on their lifespan.
This, and so many more, are the benefits that you can get from volunteering around retirement homes near you.
Volunteering can help you keep physically fit. Many volunteer positions require you to keep moving. Stocking shelves, handing out food, a neighborhood cleanup. All these encourage you to move and stay active.
Doing volunteer work also improves your mental health. Whether you’re tutoring or helping an organization find solutions, it encourages cognitive activity that’s good for your brain. Also, helping others releases endorphins that elicit happy and positive feelings. This helps lowers stress levels and the risk of depression.
Lastly, it helps you get more involved with the community. It’s a great way to learn, grow, and build meaningful relationships. Staying connected with people around your retirement community in Belleville helps give you more purpose.
Volunteer Opportunities Around Retirement Homes Near You
Here are different ways for you to volunteer around Belleville:
1. Gleaners Food Bank – help make a difference in the lives of those in need through food service, packing bags, cleaning tables, and more.
2. Community Living Belleville – help the organization provide support and services to people who have cognitive challenges through family support, out-of-home respite, and the like.
3. Belleville and Quinte West Community Health Centre – support the community health centre in various programs, services, and activities.
4. Children’s Safety Village – this organization helps educate kids about traffic and safety. Lend a hand during their various programs and events.
5. United Way Hastings & Prince Edward – this non-profit organization helps support the community by funding local non-profit agencies. Extend your experience and expertise by becoming a volunteer.
6. Community Interfaith Food Pantry – help fill food baskets, restock the pantry, and sort big food drive collections. Aside from volunteering, you can also organize food drives at your retirement community in Belleville.
The Belleville Retirement Home for You
Livita Bridge Street believes that living with vitality matters. We strive to build an environment for residents not just to live in, but also to thrive.
We offer a variety of programs and services that keep independent seniors active and engaged. This includes outreach programs that encourage our residents to get involved in the community.
Live a more purposeful life in a community that lets you live a vibrant life! Join Livita Bridge Street today.