As Earth Month arrives, it is a wonderful time to think about how seniors can help protect our planet. Seniors can make a significant impact on the environment by taking small steps to reduce their carbon footprint.
Even for seniors living in Oshawa retirement homes, there are plenty of ways that they can make a difference in the world. We have outlined some great ways for seniors to help the earth while taking advantage of their retirement services at Livita Retirement Residences.
Ways Seniors Can Help the Earth
Here are some great and easy ways seniors can contribute to a greener planet:
Gardening: Gardening is a fantastic way for seniors to connect with nature while also helping the environment. By planting flowers, herbs, and vegetables, seniors can improve air quality, support pollinators like bees and butterflies, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- Recycling: This is a simple way to help reduce waste and conserve natural resources. Seniors can make sure to recycle items like plastic bottles and paper products. They can also investigate composting food scraps and yard waste.
- Conserving Energy: Turn off lights and electronics when not in use and use energy-efficient light bulbs.
- Using Sustainable Products: Choosing to use sustainable materials like bamboo or recycled paper, or any other reusable materials and products is a great way to help the planet.
- Supporting Local Farms: This helps reduce the environmental impact of long-distance transportation and supports sustainable farming practices.
The best way to help? Gardening! By planting a variety of flowers and plants, anyone can create a beautiful garden while also promoting a healthy ecosystem. Here are some tips for seniors to get started with gardening:
- Start small: It is best to start with a small garden bed or a few potted plants if you are new to gardening. This allows you to learn the basics without feeling overwhelmed.
- Choose the right plants: Native plants are a great option, as they require less water and are more resistant to pests and diseases.
- Use organic fertilizers: These are a safer, more sustainable option, and will not harm the environment.
- Water efficiently: Water plants in the morning or evening, when temperatures are cooler and use a watering, can instead of a hose.
By working together, we can all make a positive difference for the earth.
Looking for a Retirement Home Near You?
No matter if seniors are living in retirement homes or at their own homes, there are many ways to make the world a better place than how we left it, including at our facilities.
Senior independent living in Oshawa is done safely and comfortably with Livita Retirement Residences. There are plenty of activities for residents to engage in, including taking advantage of our gardens and outdoor spaces.
Contact us today to learn more about our retirement services.